Kaia

Kaia

Koen

Koen

Friday, April 8, 2011

Tear Soup

The book Tear Soup was shared with us by another loving couple who have lost their child. Thank you for sharing this book and your wisdom with us!

Tear Soup is about a lady named Grandy who has suffered a big loss in her life. She is cooking up her own unique batch of "tear soup" where she blends different ingredients into her own grief process. I wanted to share some things from the book that have helped me and possibly can help others, or just things to relate to. **Hope it makes sense without having read the book!

"...grief always takes longer to cook than anyone wants it to."

"Grandy winced when she took a sip of the broth. All she could taste was salt from her teardrops. It tasted bitter, but she knew this was where she had to start."

"...when she looked out the window it surprised her to see how the rest of the world was going on as usual while her world had stopped."

"Sometimes she yelled at God and asked why this happened. And sometimes she demanded to know where God was when she was feeling so all alone. Still, Grandy trusted God, but she didn't understand God."

"Some days when you're making tear soup it's even hard to breathe. Some days you feel like running away. You just hope a better day comes along soon. And then comes one of the hardest parts of making tear soup, it's when you decide it may be okay to eat something instead of soup all the time."

"I've learned that grief, like a pot of soup, changes the longer it simmers and the more things you put into it. I've learned that sometimes people say unkind things, but they really don't mean to hurt you."

"And most importantly, I've learned that there is something down deep within all of us ready to help us survive the things we think we can't survive."

4 comments:

  1. I believe that the most difficult part is to see the world continue, to take a breath,to smile,to see the sunrise and set without interruption when all should have stopped the day he passed away. But then am selfish because now he runs and plays and laughs and God and the angels hold him and he is happy and healthy and showing everyone his new shoes!!!I miss you, sweetpea and always, always love you..Grandma

    ReplyDelete
  2. those are all great quotes to give us a glimpse into your world and help us start to try to understand, although we never will fully comprehend. i agree with grandma that i selfishly wish he were still here with us, but am trying to be happy for him, that he gets to be with God. love and miss you, kian.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for sharing this Danielle. Sending you and Zach and your little angel many prayers...Sheila
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. wish I could take the pain away....we see his picture everyday at school, when I look at him I tell him his nanna chichi loves him...I see his smile and I automatically smile back, he warms my heart.

    ReplyDelete